The provisions of this chapter shall control the alteration, repair, addition, maintenance and operation and change of occupancy of existing buildings and structures. Relocated existing buildings shall comply with Chapter 10. Existing building sites shall comply with Chapter 11.
1001.2 Building operation and maintenance.
Previously commissioned buildings and parts thereof, shall be operated and maintained in conformance to the code edition applicable at the time of construction. The owner shall be responsible for the operation and maintenance of existing buildings. The requirements of this chapter shall not provide the basis for removal or abrogation of fire protection and safety systems and devices in existing structures.
Alterations, repairs, additions and changes of occupancy to existing structures shall comply with the provisions of this chapter.
Exception: Where a tenant in a multi-tenant building does not have control within that tenant space of a complete system or item, compliance for that complete system or item shall not be required.
1001.4 Existing materials, assemblies, configurations and systems.
Materials, assemblies, configurations and systems already in use that conform to requirements or approvals in effect at the time of their erection or installation shall be permitted to remain in use unless determined by the code official to be dangerous to life, health or safety. Where such conditions are determined to be dangerous to the environment, life, health or safety, they shall be mitigated or made safe.
Additions to any site-built building or structure shall comply with the requirements of this code for new construction. Any addition to a modular building that is relocated within or into a jurisdiction that is in compliance with requirements or approvals in effect at the time of its construction shall comply with Section 1002 of this code.
ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING BUILDINGS
Alterations to existing buildings and building systems shall be in accordance with the provisions of this code for those assemblies, systems and components being altered. Unaltered portions, components and systems of the building, including relocated modular buildings, shall be in accordance with the provisions of the code in force at the time of their construction. Alterations shall not be made to an existing building or structure that will cause the existing building or structure to be in violation of any provisions of this code.
1. The total cost of improvements required by Sections 1003.2.1 through 1003.2.7 shall not be required to exceed 10 percent of the costs of the alterations exclusive of land and building site improvements.
3. Materials, assemblies and components regulated by Sections 1003.2.1 through 1003.2.7 that are dependent upon properties of other concealed materials, assemblies or system components to function properly and where the properties of the concealed materials, assemblies or components are unknown or insufficient and will not be revealed during construction.
4. Alterations are not required to comply with the requirements of Sections 1003.2.1 through 1003.2.7 where the code official determines the alterations to be infeasible based upon the existing configuration of spaces, unless those spaces or portions thereof will be reconfigured as part of the alteration project.
5. Where a tenant in a multi-tenant building does not have control within that tenant space of a complete system or item, compliance for that complete system or item shall not be required.
6. Where the total cost of the alteration to the existing building is less than the percent of the value of the building as indicated in Table 1003.2, compliance with Section 1003.2 shall not be required. The percent value of the building shall be determined by the original construction cost plus completed improvement costs of the building.
MINIMUM VALUES FOR ADDITIONAL
REQUIREMENTS TO ALTERATIONS
|BUILDING SIZE (square feet)||PERCENT OF BUILDING VALUE|
|Less than 5,000||20|
|5,000 – 50,000||10|
|50,001 – 500,000||1|